Tonight I am wandering in unfamiliar territory. I have never felt this way before. And no, I am not falling in love. For the very first and I mean FIRST time in my entire life, I am homesick. The best part about Christmas break was getting to see my family day in and day out. There is only one slight problem with living with 5 other wonderful people for a month. The first weeks you appreciate the way each person laughs, talks, walks, dresses and most of all makes you feel really special, in a way that only family can. After being there for a month, you seem to start to forget all those perfect little details that make a house a home and this wonderful 'thing' seems natural.... almost normal. That completely frightens me. When I started my first week back at college this week most everything went great. I only managed to forget where a few classes were and I met tons of people (which I totally love). All my fantastic roomies went home for the weekend, so I decided to come home too, which I totally was not planning on. My mom went to a special effort to cook me some of my most favorite food and pamper me. I even got to go to my energetic 87-year-old Grandma's house and watch the Utah Jazz win. Then I had to come back to my college apartment today even though all my roommates were going to be gone. To be honest, I DREADED it! I miss my family. Is that awful? I have always been jumping in my little yellow car at the end of the weekend happily and ready to start a fresh new week. This weekend was an exception. I tried to put off my departure as long as I possibly could. My super mom made me homemade breakfast (which is my most favorite thing to wake up to in the morning) and gassed up my yellow car and even washed it to surprise me. As I talked to my parents on the phone tonight, I almost cried, which is totally out of character for me. Don't get me wrong! I love college! But there are some nights that I miss the silly movie parties with all six of us plus the dog. If you have ever heard the song "Never Grow Up" by Taylor Swift, it is gospel tonight:
Take pictures in your mind of your childhood room
Memorize what it sounded like when your dad gets home
Remember the footsteps, remember the words said
And all your little brother's favorite songs
I just realized everything I have
Is someday gonna be gone
So here I am in my new apartment
In a big city, they just dropped me off
It's so much colder than I thought it would be
So I tuck myself in and turn my night light on
Wish I'd never grown up
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment